Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Recipe Wednesday - Apple Crisp

It's that time of year!  It is pretty easy to get your hands on some apples right about now so I thought I would throw out this Apple Crisp recipe.  I always have to search All Recipes for an apple crisp style that I like.  I finally wrote one down with the changes I wanted - I made this version over the weekend and it was met with rave reviews.

I used a pie plate for my crisp - that seemed about the right size.  I used the trace amount of butter left on the wrapper to coat the pie-plate. Or you could use a butter/oil spray.

Preheat oven to 350F.

Apple Mixture
1/2 c. sugar (I used white this time, but brown might go well?)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 c. water
3 apples (whatever your favorite kind is) - sliced, peeled

Mix together the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg then whisk in the water.  Toss the apples with this mixture and set aside.

Crust/Topping
1 c. oats
1c. flour
1/3 c. packed brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 butter (one stick)

First, in a medium bowl, mix together all but the butter.  Then cut in the butter - use two forks to break the butter up and incorporate it with the oat mixture.  You should end up with pea-sized pieces. 
Take half of the oat mixture and pack it tightly into the bottom of your pan.  Add on your apples, then crumble on the rest of the oat mix. 

Bake at 350F for 45 minutes. 

Enjoy! 
Goes especially well with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. 
Just sayin'.

No comments: